Smoking is a cooking art that very few can pull off without the proper cooking knowledge. If you love smoking and have bought a smoker just so you can enjoy that unique smoke flavor at home, you will need tons of recipes to start with.
Thankfully, there are many recipes available for smoking meat, poultry and vegetables.
But when it comes to smoking, some believe nothing can beat the old school smoked chicken breast recipe. It is somewhat the most popular recipe if you enjoy eating chicken instead of ham or lamb.
If you just bought your new smoker and have no idea where to begin, we’ve got you covered. The below smoked chicken recipe is ideal for any kind of smoker.
So whether you are using an electric, propane or an old school charcoal smoker, you can use this recipe to obtain that unique ‘smoked’ taste that you always get at the restaurants.
Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe Done The Right way
First and foremost, you must know which chips you have to use to get the desired taste. To understand the taste differences, just hit down your local store and read the description of the chips.
For this recipe, it is highly recommended that you use either apple, hickory or mesquite chips for the best taste.
But if you enjoy a different taste, feel free to use any other kind of chips.
Things you’ll need
- Hickory, mesquite or apple chips
- Chicken breasts (2 pounds with skin-on if you really want that great smoked taste)
- Tony Chacheres Cajun seasoning (2 tbsp) (You can also use any seasoning of your choice)
- BBQ Sauce (for best results, use Texas Style only)
- Ready your chicken breasts by first removing any visible fat you see on the breasts.
- Now use your favorite seasoning (we recommend Tony Chacheres Cajun) and coat the chicken with it. Put the breasts in the fridge for at least 1 hour. You can keep the chicken there for extended time for better results and better taste.
- When your chicken breasts are ready, start by pre-heating the smoker at 225 F. Place the chicken breasts directly on the pan for a minimum of 4 hours to a maximum of 6 hours or until you find the taste according to your desire. You can read: How To Use An Electric Smoker.
- Using a thermometer, check the internal temperature. If it has reached 165 F, it should be ready.
- During the last hour of smoking, you will have to add BBQ sauce. Just don’t use away the whole bottle, keep some for serving.
- Your smoked chicken breasts are ready to serve. These are best served with BBQ sauce and vegetables of your choice. Learn how to make BBQ sauce at home.
For best results, always add chips to your smoker occasionally. Just check your chicken every hour and add chips if required.
It is recommended that if you control the amount of chips you put in the smoker to avoid bad taste. If you don’t get the taste right the first time, try reducing or increasing the chips accordingly.